By Greet Van den Berghe MD, PhD (auth.)
The integration of endocrinology in serious care drugs has resulted in new experimental and scientific info at the complicated endocrine and metabolic derangements accompanying non-endocrine serious health problems. The becoming a member of of those disciplines has generated vital novel insights with major medical implications. Acute Endocrinology: From reason to end result compiles those new findings into an immense and hugely proper new source. half one offers with the classical life-threatening health problems as a result of basic endocrine ailments comparable to thyrotoxicosis, hypothyroidism, acute adrenal problem, acute calcium issues, pheochromocytoma, critical hyper- and hypoglycemia. half appears to be like at endocrinology from the ICU part, beginning with a basic review of the dynamic neuroendocrine and metabolic tension responses within the of in depth care-dependent, non-endocrine serious disorder. Acute Endocrinology: From reason to end result offers a distinct and up to date assessment of the becoming a member of of those disciplines and seeks to stimulate extra interdisciplinary study during this very important and interesting field.
Read Online or Download Acute Endocrinology: From Cause to Consequence PDF
Best endocrinology books
Post 12 months word: First released in 2009 (epub purely, PDF layout variation used to be in 2004). fabric during this paintings initially seemed in Hormones, mind and behaviour, 2d version released in 2002.
A unmarried quantity of forty-one articles, Hormone/Behavior relatives of medical value is an authoritative collection of appropriate chapters from the Hormones mind and behaviour second version MRW, the main entire resource of neuroendocrinological info assembled thus far (AP July 2009).
The research of hormones as they influence the mind and, in this case, habit is a relevant subject in neuroscience, endocrinology and psychiatry. This quantity bargains an summary of neuroendocrinological themes, imminent the topic from the viewpoint of hormone-brain functionality, hormone-behavior kin, intercourse variations, and the impression on a number of diseases/pathologies. Many simple human behavioral features are topic to the impression of hormones - sexual orientation, the adventure of discomfort, fertility, immunity - as are medical stipulations reminiscent of diabetes, substance abuse disease, consuming problems, PTSD, TBI, discomfort, Alzheimer's, stress/anxiety, affective problems, and extra. there's substantial advertisement medical power within the examine of hormones - drug businesses are at present constructing a Cholecystokinin (hormonal peptide) booster to minimize urge for food in those that be afflicted by sever weight problems, and catamenial epilepsy (features seizure exacerbation on the subject of the menstrual cycle) is proof against therapy through normal antiepileptic medicinal drugs, yet could be hormonally managed. those matters and extra are lined, and there's easily no different present single-volume reference with such entire insurance and depth.
Authors chosen are the across the world well known specialists for the actual subject matters on which they write, and the quantity is richly illustrated with over one hundred fifty figures (50 in color). a set of articles reviewing our primary wisdom of neuroendocrinology, the booklet presents a necessary, reasonable reference for researchers, clinicians and graduate scholars within the area.
• delivering awesome scholarship, every one bankruptcy is written by means of a professional within the subject sector and nearly 25% of chapters are written via foreign individuals (7 international locations represented)
• presents extra absolutely vetted specialist wisdom than any current paintings with wide allure for the united states, united kingdom and Europe, thoroughly crediting the contributions to investigate in these regions
• seriously illustrated with a hundred and fifty figures, nearly 50 in colour, featuring the fabric within the so much visually necessary shape for the reader
• absolutely explores numerous scientific stipulations linked to the hormones and the mind (PTSD, TBI, tension & anxiousness, consuming issues, diabetes, addictive problems, Alzheimer's, affective disorders)
• wide assurance of problems makes the quantity correct to clinicians in addition to researchers and uncomplicated scientists
The gathering of structures represented during this quantity is a distinct attempt to mirror the range and software of versions utilized in biomedicine. That application relies at the attention that observations made specifically organisms will supply perception into the workings of different, extra advanced structures. This quantity is consequently a complete and huge choice of those very important scientific parallels.
Adolescence weight problems and its co-morbidities -- together with sort 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, dyslipidemia, sleep apnea, and fatty liver disorder -- have visible notable raises lately. regardless of a wealth of research, there's substantial controversy concerning the etiology of adolescence weight problems and the optimum ways for prevention and remedy.
This e-book offers an summary of lysosomal garage issues, and gives the reader with an knowing of medical positive aspects, linked issues, and prognosis and administration techniques. It additionally describes historic advancements within the box and present pondering on the subject of pathophysiology and potential healing options.
- Encyclopedia of Endocrinology
- The Thymus Gland: Diagnosis and Surgical Management
- Fetal Endocrinology
- Autocrine and Paracrine Mechanisms in Reproductive Endocrinology
- Hormones and Signaling
- The Foot in Diabetes
Additional resources for Acute Endocrinology: From Cause to Consequence
4◦ C (94◦ F) and should therefore not be used in this setting given the likelihood of inaccurate results. When hypothermia is suspected, low-reading rectal thermometers or rectal thermistor probes should be used (33). The clinical presentation in many patients may be sufficiently clear to make measurements of thyroid function tests necessary only for confirmation of the diagnosis. Given a reasonable index of suspicion, empiric thyroid hormone replacement should be immediately initiated while awaiting the results of these tests, including serum TSH and free thyroxine (free T4), which should only take several hours in most centers.
Treatment of Thyrotoxicosis. J Nucl Med 2007; 48:379–389. 2 Myxedema Coma Suzanne Myers Adler, MD and Leonard Wartofsky, MD CONTENTS I NTRODUCTION E PIDEMIOLOGY C LINICAL P RESENTATION D IAGNOSIS TREATMENT S UMMARY R EFERENCES INTRODUCTION Myxedema coma is the most severe form of hypothyroidism and, although rare today, still carries a high mortality rate without prompt diagnosis and aggressive treatment. Myxedema coma continues to be a medical emergency that presents with deteriorating mental status, hypothermia, and multiple organ system abnormalities.
45. Brucker-Davis F, Oldfield EH, Skarulis MC, et al. Thyrotropin-Secreting Pituitary Tumors: Diagnostic Criteria, Thyroid Hormone Sensitivity, and Treatment Outcome in 25 Patients Followed at the National Institutes of Health. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999; 84(2): 476–486. 46. Beck-Peccoz P, Persani L. Medical Management of Thyrotropin-Secreting Pituitary Adenomas. Pituitary 2002; 5:83–88. 47. Beck-Peccoz P, Piscitelli G, Amr S, et al. Endocrine, biochemical, and morphological studies of a pituitary adenoma secreting growth hormone, thyrotropin (TSH), and alpha-subunit: evidence for secretion of TSH with increased bioactivity.
Acute Endocrinology: From Cause to Consequence by Greet Van den Berghe MD, PhD (auth.)